Thursday, May 15, 2014

Travel Plans - Readjusted

Logistics and fate are a funny things. They can derail even the best of plans. Such has been the case with my planned train trip for this summer. Unavailability of housing in some cities, lack of funds for certain activities, and poor timing took a toll. It's neither responsible nor feasible to go gallivanting around the country this time around. I'll embark on my trip next summer instead. 

This was deeply disappointing. Lafayette, especially after this past semester of grad school, began to feel like the place the universe conveniently dumps on all the time. Severely poor weather, a school shooting, tough classes, a dose of heartbreak, and general malaise were slapped on top of life's usual grievances. A train trip catapulting me thousands of miles away not only felt exciting - it felt absolutely necessary

I'll admit, I was deeply negative and cynical for days after Logistics came knocking on the door; to anyone who had to spend time with me, I'm sorry. :P Losing travel prospects put me in a truly foul mood.

But recently, I've found ways to accept that extensive travel wasn't in the cards, and life can be good here in Lafayette. My schedule has "breathing space"now without the heavy pressure of school. I can craft my plans with abandon, unrestrained by too many obligations. I don't know what shenanigans I will be up to, even hour by hour. I can wake up when I want. Walk places, take public transportation, ride my bike, hang out with friends, make a giant blanket fort out of my apartment...the magical element of time uprooted me from the miasma that settled in. Potentialities abound, and it feels exciting.

In other words, I can enjoy all the benefits of travel while staying in Lafayette because I have time. And there's plenty of Lafayette I've not seen. So the wanderlust is still on.

This new perspective's been working out - life is unexpectedly beautiful lately. It's included walking around a gorgeous park barefoot with friends during rare perfect weather. Making my own hummus. Reading Jamaica Kincaid's A Small Place, a beautiful yet scathing indictment against globalized racism through "tourist" descriptions of Antigua. Cheering on my friends at their softball game, then drinking with them at Chumley's afterward. Spending time at hookah bars and coffee shops, and laughing while watching a terrible sci-fi movie with friends. And watching Star Trek: Voyager is doing wonders soothing my hankering for adventure. 

The future holds equally beautiful prospects. A friend and I want to do a "patio" tour of Lafayette, reading and conversing at establishments with good outdoor seating. Possibly also writing about them. Biking trails skirting the edges of the river and the city are worth exploring. Recipes for all kinds of fun dishes demand to be made. Why stop at hummus? And let's not get started on how many shows and movies I still need to watch.

Like a good friend told me some weeks ago - life is all about framing. It's how we see things. If I (arrogantly) decide that Lafayette isn't good enough for my wanderlust, then it won't be. And I'll just be left with my bad attitude. But accepting the cards I'm dealt with and deciding that I can still be happy means that I will be.

Sounds good enough to me. Bring on Summer 2014! Adventures! Shenanigans! In Lafayette, Indiana.  

No comments:

Post a Comment